Sunday, January 18, 2015

What you should know about someone fighting Cancer.





What you should know about someone fighting Cancer!!


Well if you know anyone fighting Cancer. Just keep these points in mind. 
Let the animations load. It would take a few seconds..

1. People detected with Cancer are not suddenly transformed into Super-Heros. 

We fight a disease that terrifies everyone but we dont turn into (and dont expect us to immediately) turn into Super Heros.

 2. We are strong because sometimes there is no other option.
At times our fight is simply a willingness to go through treatment because, frankly, there's no alternative. We endure pain and sickness for the chance to feel normal down the road.  


3. Just call sometimes, Don’t wait on me to call you if I need anything.  
Please call me every once in a while and do come over. I know you told me to call if I ever needed anything, but it’s weird asking others to spend time with me.


4. We can have real emotions too. 
We do experience real emotions too. Even though cancer and its treatments can sometimes influence my outlook, I still have normal moods and feelings in response to life events. If I’m angry or upset, accept that something made me mad and don’t write it off as the disease. 

5. Be Normal  - Not "How are you feeling now" 
Let’s talk about life and what’s been happening rather than just focusing on my illness.

6. Forgive me.  
There will be times when the illness and its treatment (Chemos, Drugs, Steroids)  make me “weird.” I may be forgetful, abrupt or hurtful. None of this is deliberate. Please don’t take it personally, and please forgive me.

7.Just listen.


I’m doing my very best to be brave and strong, but I have moments when I need to fall apart. Just listen and don’t offer solutions. A good cry releases a lot of stress and pressure for me. 

6. Ask if you want to take pictures of us. 
We all have our own ways of handling thing. Some dont want to remember this time and some dont mind. So better ask. 

7. We do need a little time alone sometimes. 
 A few points ago I was talking about how much I need to spend time with you, and now I’m telling you to go away. I love you, but sometimes I need a little solitude. It gives me the chance to take off the brave face I’ve been wearing too long, and the silence can be soothing. Sometimes I do cry in the bathroom.

8. Our family needs their friends too. 
The life starts revolving around the patients. Well try to make it a point to meet our families too. They also need normalcy for some time.

9. We love your advice but dont give Gyaan. (Dont Preach)
I know you care but still don't preach what you feel is the right way to fight Cancer. Give me the options. But dont push it beyond a point. Let me decide whats my way of fighting this battle.

10. Why did this happen? Ans. Well I dont know.

I saved the best one for the last. Frankly except a few Cancers, most do not have a particular reason. Its sheer genetic mutation, Just BAD LUCK !! 

Written By:
Rahul Yadav

A 29 year old battling Multiple Myeloma - Blood Cancer since Aug 2013, who wants to make fighting cancer Cool. 





Note: 
I have picked all the images from the internet and do not own any of them. Also I have taken inspirations from Kim Helminski Keller's blog. Feel free to contact me for suggestions or feedback. Would love to hear from you. 

3 comments: